Race 1: Saturday, June 8 -Hill Climb Kick-Off
On-site registration/plate pick-up: 7:30-9am on race day at Epic Headquarters, Competition Center Office at base of Winter Park Resort. Located in the Balcony House down the hallway near Coffee & Tea Market.
RACE 1 – HILL CLIMB
SATURDAY, JUNE 8, 2019
- Start is at the base of the mountain road, just past the Sorensen Park sign on the north end of the base area.
- Follow the road up and past Tunnel Hill.
- Right after Tunnel Hill the climb gets a little steeper. Turn right at the intersection about 100 yards after Tunnel Hill.
- You'll pass four switchbacks, with the last one being out on a ski trail. About 100 yards after the fourth switchback, turn left at the intersection.
- This section eases up and is fast to 5 Points.
- Everyone else continue straight and the climb will get tougher again. Eventually you'll come out at the base of the High Lonesome chairlift. Turn left, staying on the main road.
- After a bit you'll ride under a chairlift (Olympia). About 200 yards later turn right at the base of a rope tow lift. You'll see the Sunspot ski lodge off to the left. Do not go up to the lodge.
- At this point you hit one of the steepest sections. It is short, so if you can power through this part of the course you know you are strong. You're over 10,500 feet now.
- You'll pass the top of the Olympia chairlift. A short, flat stretch allows you to catch your breath before another tough climb. After this the course flattens out for a bit of a breather - if you can find the oxygen up here.
- As you near the top, you’ll reach the last intersection. Turn right. As soon as you turn, you'll see the Super Gauge chairlift up ahead and your final stretch. Dig deep, it gets steep for a couple hundred feet right before the finish. The finish line is right at the top of the Super Gauge chairlift. Head over to the Lunch Rock deck, put your feet up and enjoy the views!